09 February 2007

Strong Opinions From An "Authority Figure"?

Man, I'm looking for trouble. I think going to numerous commentary-based blogs fueled this. But what the hell. I've been wanting to rant about this guy for so long.

This is in reaction to an article I read on Soompi titled "Producer Blasts Korean Nationalism." Park Jin Young apparently spoke about what he thought of Korean nationalism as it relates to entertainment. I'm not an authority figure on entertainment and national pride, neither am I Korean, but I just don't buy what he said. And a lot of the posters at the forum completely agreed and supported his opinion. Why? They said he had good points. What are those? Or maybe because again, he's the man behind Rain's success that's why they just suck it all up. But I can't. So excuse me if I allow myself to digest what has been said and react objectively.

It's very hypocritical to bash a concept that works and that allows you to make exorbitant amounts of money. Park Jin Young's team is extremely milking Rain's popularity. I was aghast when I was asked to pay around P5,000 to join Rain's fan club online. They said I'll get a plastic card that declares I'm officially part of the fan club and the promise that I will get freebies if and when a promo comes up. Did I register? Hell no! I have more uses for my P5,000, thank you very much. And do I really have to "register" to adore an artist? C'mon. And that's not where it ends. Countless expensive merchandise on anything of Rain, you'd think you'd be stupid to buy them but still, people save good money to be able to afford them. I myself rarely buy original CDs but I buy Rain's albums! My friends think I'm crazy! So for JYP to come out and say that he doesn't understand why Hallyu is the banner of the Korean entertainment industry when he is benefitting from it is just pure bull! And let me just add that Hallyu is an effort of various entertainment figures, not just Rain. He may be one of those on top of it but it's very arrogant to assume that he made Hallyu.

Hallyu is a brand. Similar to that of Bollywood, which has quite a following overseas as well. I admire Koreans for their strong sense of nationalism, although sometimes it does become a bit extreme. But it's not something to be ashamed of or to completely trash. I live in a country where nationalistic pride is vague and sometimes forgotten. So to see a country that prides itself on what it can produce and proactively promote it worldwide is commendable. JYP's suggesting that Koreans "overcome nationalism" because they're being criticized for it. I ask him, what kind of identity does he want Koreans to adopt since he wants them to "overcome nationalism"? He's not just speaking against Hallyu but also against the entire culture. When Asians try so hard to be recognized for their unique heritage, he has the gall to tell people to chuck them all.

The article also says that he will speak on a Hallyu Dialogue in Harvard University. We know what he's going to say in that dialogue. He should seriously consider this too, "overcome arrogance." Nuff said.

Orange Git at 12:18 PM

2comments

2 Comments

at 5:14 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's my girl!!!!!

I really agree~! he is getting so full of it!! what's wrong with Korea?
well, I'm not even Asian and i'm so into this culture!! all my friends are making fun on me!! they can't see what's good about it! but i don't even bother what they think.
I do what i think is right~~
I think JYP is suffering from identity loss!!! he is trying too hard to get into Hollywood! He can't tell what's up anymore!

 
at 9:46 AM Blogger Orange Git said...

Exactly. He's just too involved with the music industry in the US to think objectively.

 

Post a Comment