05 January 2007

Bestest Birthday Ever!

I never expected anything. Actually, I was quite negative about this birthday. I was in denial that I was turning 27. But it turned out to be the best birthday so far.

It’s been tradition at home to wait for 12 midnight when it’s someone’s birthday. We were counting down the minutes till midnight. When the clock struck 12, my friends sang the usual birthday song. They gave me gifts and I loved them. I’ve always wanted a coffee press and now finally, I have one and in orange! The other gift was a nice belt that would go really well with numerous outfits that I’ve already planned in my head. Thanks roomies!

orange coffee press, polka dotted belt and yummy brownies from roomies

I planned to come in the office just for lunch since my boss wanted to treat me to lunch. But even before I got there, I was getting all these questions from my friend Cacay asking if I was coming to work at all. I sensed that something was up. And true enough, the minute I got to the office, I saw this yellow plastic bag with a bouquet of flowers inside. It was the sweetest gift I’ve ever received. She never fails to amaze me. Super mom, super friend, super everything. It totally made my day, especially when I found out the effort she went through to deliver it.

gerberas from Cacay… best best gift ever!

My desk was filled with loot. It was a low EQ’s dream, no, actually... it’s a nightmare! I didn’t know which one to open first. My boss treated us to Pasto at Paseo Center. We always enjoy the crostini with basil pesto dip and their margherita pizza. And since it was my birthday, she made us choose desserts. Mine was Venezia, chocolate covered cappuccino mousse. Heaven!

Venezia at Pasto, coffee lovers dream

I took the rest of the day off and proceeded to a total pampering package. I discovered paraffin wax treatment is torture. Dipping your hand and feet in hot hot wax is not very relaxing.

I decided to treat my girls to Korean food for dinner. And with the help of this blog entry in Bogchinoypi, I was convinced to try Min Sok Restaurant which is just a block away from where we live. We’ve lived in the area for more than five years and we’ve never braved any of the numerous Korean restos in our little Korean village. I was disappointed at first at their very limited menu. I was expecting something like the menu in my other favorite Korean restaurant in Malate. But as soon as our orders came, I was floored.

Korean food feast!

We ordered samgyeopsal which is just pork strips, something else resembling beef strips, spicy soup with tofu and pork that came free with the two meat dishes, an omelet with veggies and squid that came with a sesame seed oyster sauce dip and bulgogi. The side dishes came first with our rice. They served ten side dishes that were refillable including numerous kinds of kimchi – cabbage, radish, cucumber. The best side dishes were the bean sprouts, the sweet and spicy tempura (not sure if this is really what it’s called but that’s what the waitress said), the fish cake and the egg roll.

Samgyeopsal was the best order of all. As soon as the meat and it’s “accessories” came out, we panicked and cancelled our bulgogi order. Thin slices of meat were grilled right on our table and two plates filled with lettuce, garlic, green chilli, and onions were placed at each end. I was able to apply my handy Korean knowledge on eating samgyeopsal from watching too many Korean dramas and movies. The waitress was amazed that I actually knew what to pile on the lettuce leaf. All she had to do was confirm what I was doing. Even the ajuma owner, expecting to teach us newbies how to eat it, was surprised that we knew what we were doing. There’s really no other way than to pop the whole thing in your mouth, and it is a huge lettuce wrap. The explosion of flavor in your mouth is addicting. Without even realizing it, I ate three wraps in a matter of minutes. But I think our mouths got stressed from putting so much in it that the next day, my mouth and jaw was aching. We are definitely coming back. I practiced my very limited Korean when we left and I think ajuma appreciated it. She’s very nice and warm, unlike the other Koreans in the neighborhood.

doesn’t look that big, but it is... think three california makis

To cap off the birthday extravaganza, the roomies gave me a slice of Goldilock's mocca roll. This was my request. Goldilock's ran out of the half roll so they ended up with a slice. Happiness… the taste of my childhood.

the last birthday cake, with the reusable candle

Cacay, in her note with the flowers, wrote

Hope this makes a wonderful start to a fab 27th year. It’s all roses from here! (Or should I say gerbera?)

It certainly jumpstarted my 27th... It was touching, wonderful and fabulous. I’m glad I have such great friends and family who make me happy, thankful and hopeful. Cheers!

Orange Git at 10:41 AM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment