18 December 2006

Missing Bibingka Among Other Things

I once told someone that I am incapable of missing a person or a thing. This was my brave declaration which might have left the impression that I don’t feel anything. But I’ve recently discovered that my missing mechanism is quite different from other people. And all thanks to good old bibingka.

A few nights ago, the yearly Simbang Gabi started. Nine days of novena before Christmas Eve. Although I never intend to complete the nine days, I always look forward to attending it as much as I can. It's been part of my Christmas routine to go to the Simbang Gabi near our home at 9 in the evening, then have bibingka and coffee afterwards. So off I go to the first Simbang Gabi, bought my bibingka and ate it for dinner. The first bite was heavenly. Suddenly, I felt comforted. I wanted to shout “It’s really Christmas!” And I realized how much I missed that particular bibingka. That particular taste that screams Christmas, you can taste the cheese, the abundance of salted egg. The resilient consistency of the cake, its generous size, heaven! And only for P35 pesos! However, I was also reminded that I can never finish this whole bibingka by myself.

Which leads me to think of how I miss people. See, I don’t miss people when they’re gone. I miss them when they come back.

Case in point #1: A very close work friend left to work in another country. I was sad when she left. But I never realized how much I missed her until she came back and I got to talk to her again.

Case in point #2: I had dinner with my college friends last week and I realized how much I missed them. I’ve forgotten how much fun it is just sitting down, eating and talking non-stop for hours. Such easy conversation that never changes or never becomes awkward even if we don’t see each other for months or even a year.

It’s weird but that’s how I am.

Orange Git at 1:39 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment