05 October 2006

Back To Being "Normal"

It’s been a week since the nightmare typhoon hit both my homes in the province and in the city. Given the intensity of that storm, I was very lucky that I was spared from floods, mishaps and tragedies. A lot of people were less fortunate, some including my friends, suffering major loss in properties and possessions.

Coming back to work was a different experience. The damage to the trees everywhere was the tangible proof of how strong the winds were last week. The once shady park where we had our Valentine’s Day picnic lunches and occasional lunch poetry readings is long gone. We mourn the loss of the trees, the loss of memories.

Clean up and recovery has been slow. It’s been a week and I still can’t walk on the sidewalks. Branches and debris are still there. My friend can’t move into their house, it’s still uninhabitable. We still experience long periods of brown outs, wires and electric poles still being reconnected and fixed. My office has no electricity as I post and we're running on generator. I hope I don't have to go down 18 flights of stairs again like I did yesterday.


We all go on with our everyday routine, hoping that all the mess will just disappear in time. But going back to normal is taking too long.

Orange Git at 12:30 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment